Follow
Read More
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
I would hand her the detergent and tell her to do it herself. Why are you acting as her maid?
(1)

There are covid vaccines available - has your MIL gotten hers? That should allow her the opportunity to move into her own place - assisted, nursing, whatever. Have you checked out any that would be 'acceptable' to her, and put her on the waiting lists? Gotta have a end in sight.

Boundaries - set boundaries. Because there is nothing else in their lives, their needs and wants become immediate needs and wants. Given the situation you shared, my personal reaction would be no reaction - say - 'I will get to it when I get to it' - and then from there on, no more further comments from me about the subject matter - no matter what. I would put up a white board in her room with the current day and what you will be doing that day for her - ie. Tuesday- laundry. Anything outside that boundary - well, it will just have to wait. If she has a hissy fit - treat it like you do a child. Reasoning and logic don't work. Unless, of course, she has been diagnosed with dementia, which is another whole different ball game.

With what you are saying about her, she will never change - her personality, characteristics, her demands/wants and will not compromise. That was my mother, and I knew I could never have her stay with me for longer than 4 days. It was that type of contentious relationship. And I didn't feel guilty about it because if she had lived under my roof, unfortunately, everything between us would have escalated (since it never was all that great to begin with) and her time with me would have caused her, and me, much more stress and unpleasantness.

You have a family of your own with your own responsibilities. That is where you need to place your focus and energies. Maybe hire someone to come in 2x week to handle just your MIL laundry, room cleaning, sheet changing, whatever.... separate the chores and have someone else take care of it..
(1)

The fact that you will DO her laundry is unbelievable to me. That's your husband's mother. He should be doing her laundry IF she is unable to do it herself. Be thankful she wants clean clothes. My MIL does not like our washing machine because it "washes too long". I am fairly certain she washes her clothes in her bathroom sink but I am sure she can't do this with sheets and towels. And, she bathes once a week! She is 84 and she smells like an old person. Yes, some of it comes with old age but much of it is hygiene!
(0)

I would kind of jump at the chance to do my mom's laundry. Except that I want to wash every single item of clothing that she owns. She isn't capable of using the proper detergents and such, so everything reeks of urine. She dries things for so long the smell is baked in. I KNOW it's possible to not have that 'old person' smell, b/c my MIL and her house smell completely clean--mom's place just reeks..and it spills over into the 'family' part of the house.

I think it's a combo of incontinence (which both mom & MIL have) and not bathing frequently enough. Mother swears she showers 4 times a week, but I know for a fact she only does so about once a week or less. She is double incontinent and not able to clean herself properly. I'm not putting her down, I'm just stating a fact.

I don't know if you 'poked a bear' or just felt like being in control. Doesn't really matter, does it? I can feel for both of you, you feeling like a slave and her feeling very put upon.

And yeah, why CAN'T her son do her laundry? Shoot, 3/5 of my sons in law and my own son do the laundry all the time. It's not like women are hardwired to do this task.
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter