Follow
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Tim: Thanks for the update. I'm so happy you and Laura are surrounded by family. Good place to be. Has to be a comfort to be surrounded by love.

Update on my dad. Yesterday when I visited, I was happy to see my dad actually rolling his wheelchair down the hall. He wasn't breaking any speed records, but he was moving on his own. Finally, something that he can do on his own and for himself with no danger. The nurses and aids say hi to him and cheer him on and he beams his sweet, crooked smile. This is something he couldn't do at home, but the very wide hallways at the NH give him plenty of space to explore. I spent sometime with him and gave him bunches of hugs. He seemed in much better spirits so it was a really good day for both of us.

Meanwhile: I'm so glad to hear that Omaha's nose is completely healed and he can breath normally.

Diane: You hang in there and keep us posted on the application. I hope you can talk sense to your brother. They just want to verify the source of income, rule out another retirement income of whatever. All he needs to say is, Yes, I gave it to her and I don't do it anymore.

Hugs to everyone, Cattails
(3)

Cuz. I love the pearl story.
(1)

lildeb i like that I say One Day at a time one step at a time sounds better....Hope it all works out for you....
bobbie hope you are having wonderful day & staying cool... Suppose to b only in high 80's this weekend here... Probaly rain but, I cant complain Im in middle of sad corn fields that are in need of rain.
Thoughts & special prayers 4 you Tim & Laura & your family.....
Hope everyone has good day!!!!!
My 18 year old neice came to spend the night with me (my 10 year old is gone) & so we are watching movies & girl talk & eating all day in ac...Gotta love it..(Hope The MIL behaves)
(4)

Hi all n Good Morning; We had drop the mil at the respite church n I had already gotten my fasting lab n picked up odds/ends at the grocery. Hubby got him an oil change before school starts n we both made it back in time before 11:30 before alzheimer's association of GA Chapter showed up at r house.

Oh, I Got all the dog hair vaccumed n yet I would love to shave that one dog for he is just shedding clumps all over the rug n I even bathed him n brushed him too! Anyway, the people from alz ass, was great n we kept them for about 2 hrs. I was asking all I could n trying to get information for my dad n sm as well.
They were very helpful n we r allow up to a certain amount of fund for a yr for respite care. That was great news to hear for we were worrying about the cost for in case of an emergency situation had to come. they even told us that the Hospice is another resource for emergency situation that open up more options. As for my parents in FL, They told us that it would be best to get an Geriatric Psycharitric Evaluation to see just where both parents r as for their compentent level. That if they did fail to go ahead n get a Guardianship over my dad. They also told us being no one can seem to handle keeping them, that they could use Hospice as well n to check around for temporary solution. I told them I had already referred my middle age brother toward the Area Agency on Aging but they seem to want my brother to keep dad at their house. he is not able to do that for he has a very short fuse-temper n he is out of town on his job tto much. I mean he has a very short-fuse even if you give him too much information he goes balistic. I understand why they r trying to do it for the the person will do much better at a home with a relative than in a NH n it would also keep govt, cost down too. However, if that situation is not going to work for the best interest of my dad then that idea is no good. So, we are hoping to hear from the test results fails then maybe hospice can help for the NH has a waiting period where he is at for 6 - 12 months. If dad does pass the test n he is able to help himself as for personal hygeine Then maybe, just maybe, another relative will feel more comfortable of help taking care of him until maybe his Medicade will be approved for at least temporarly.
Because the Rehab people that work with dad said that, he walked to bathroom all by himself during the day when he is with them. Yet, it made no sense to us why he had a depend on at night? Maybe they can check in to why he is wearing them at night. Either way, we have until Aug. 1st before he will be released. As for sm, well she is not corporation with anyone n maybe the test will help give us an idea what his going if anything is going on in her mind. For I think being outside for a wk in that hot temperature has done some damage.
One Step at a Time.
I hope everyone has a blessed day.... I am going to try n breathe n practice what I preach. ; )
(3)

Tim,
Angels to you and Laura and angels surround that wonderful place that is her family's home.
This thread is your home while you go through this most difficult period and I know that we all hope you will stay with us awhile.

Meanwhile2 has walked your path and she is a treasure of love and hope.

Victoria! glad you all were able to get a laugh out of the Play-Doh incident. The laughs are what will save your bacon.

love all you guys way more than you even know.

lovbob
(2)

WWell guys so we made it home they stopped the treatment .so her family wanted us there so her we are on her parents 10, acres with horses and all I'm so thankful she has a.great.family they can help provide I think they were shocked when she put ice.cubes on her biscuit at dinner time thinking it.was.butter but i couldn't.think of.a.better place to be ...

I write more later lauras up. And on the move leg the.fun began because no matter our enviroment it doesn't change the care process ....good luck and god bless
Thank you all for the.support it feels good.to know even though I'm alone to a point I'm not ....
(4)

My mom ate Play-doh tonight (I caught it before she swallowed, it's non- toxic anyway). It's not the first time she's done this, but it's the first time we laughed together about it.Thank you Agingcare community.
(4)

Tim, I'm so sorry about the cancer coming back. Lost my husband last year to cancer. It had spread to his brain as well. The last few months he thought he was getting better. I didn't argue with him. Just tried to keep him comfortable.
Omaha's doing great. His most recent injury was just a freak cut on a broken branch of a cedar tree. Besides some more antibiotics, and keeping the stitches clean, it isn't that serious. His nose has healed up great. He will always have some scars, but he can breathe normally, and that is all that matters.
(4)

The Necklace

The cheerful little girl with bouncy golden curls was almost five. Waiting with her mother at the checkout stand, she saw them, a circle of glistening white pearls in a pink foil box.

"Oh mommy please, Mommy. Can I have them? Please, Mommy, please?"

Quickly the mother checked the back of the little foil box and then looked back into the pleading blue eyes of her little girl's upturned face.

"A dollar ninety-five. That's almost $2.00. If you really want them, I'll think of some extra chores for you and in no time you can save enough money to buy them for yourself.. Your birthday's only a week away and you might get another crisp dollar bill from Grandma."

As soon as Jenny got home, she emptied her penny bank and counted out 17 pennies. After dinner, she did more than her share of chores and she went to the neighbor and asked Mrs. McJames if she could pick dandelions for ten cents. On her birthday, Grandma did give her another new dollar bill and at last she had enough money to buy the necklace.

Jenny loved her pearls. They made her feel dressed up and grown up. She wore them everywhere, Sunday school, kindergarten, even to bed. The only time she took them off was when she went swimming or had a bubble bath. Mother said if they got wet, they might turn her neck green.

Jenny had a very loving daddy and every night when she was ready for bed, he would stop whatever he was doing and come upstairs to read her a story. One night as he finished the story, he asked Jenny, "Do you love me?"

"Oh yes, daddy. You know that I love you" "Then give me your pearls."

"Oh, daddy, not my pearls. But you can have Princess, the white horse from my collection, the one with the pink tail.. Remember, daddy? The one you gave me. She's my very favorite."

"That's okay, Honey, daddy loves you. Good night." And he brushed her cheek with a kiss.

About a week later, after the story time, Jenny's daddy asked again, "Do you love me?"

"Daddy, you know I love you."

"Then give me your pearls."

"Oh Daddy, not my pearls. But you can have my baby doll. The brand new one I got for my birthday. She is beautiful and you can have the yellow blanket that matches her sleeper."

"That's okay. Sleep well. God bless you, little one. Daddy loves you."

And as always, he brushed her cheek with a gentle kiss.

A few nights later when her daddy came in, Jenny was sitting on her bed with her legs crossed Indian style.

As he came close, he noticed her chin was trembling and one silent tear rolled down her cheek.

"What is it, Jenny? What's the matter?"

Jenny didn't say anything but lifted her little hand up to her daddy. And when she opened it, there was her little pearl necklace. With a little quiver, she finally said, "Here, daddy; this is for you."

With tears gathering in his own eyes, Jenny's daddy reached out with one hand to take the dime store necklace, and with the other hand he reached into his pocket and pulled out a blue velvet case with a strand of genuine pearls and gave them to Jenny...

He had them all the time. He was just waiting for her to give up the dime-store stuff so he could give her the genuine treasure. So it is, with our Heavenly Father. He is waiting for us to give up the cheap things in our lives so that he can give us beautiful treasures.

God will never take away something without giving you something better in its place.

You can do two things with this story:
A. Pass it on and let others be touched by its message;

B. Throw it away and not let it touch your heart. The greatest gifts happen when you share love and touch others.
(4)

SAFE SEX
Condoms don't guarantee safe sex anymore.
A friend of mine was wearing one when he was shot by the woman's husband.
Pass this safety information on.
(2)

Tim so sorry for the horrible news. I hope you have support. Take what ever you need!

I passed on anything that said meatloaf last three days, I can visualize too much....

Having symptoms of kidney infection here but too scared of moms reaction to my needing ten dollars and a ride to the doctor so I am ignoring it and hoping it goes away. I am past thinking it is all too much I can't take any more cause I know from experience there is always more....If I collapse or something then I'll deal with it...

Playwright contest emailed and said I needed to send five dollar fee for admin...I am wondering i already sent that one? cash?....Now what?
(1)

Tim, stay with us for the support you need during this time. Only the good Lord knows how long she has, but seize every moment that you can. Thoughts and prayers for you, Laura and family.
(4)

Shirley that sucks that you have to deal with your Mother with that attitude! It seems to be the norm more than not with our loved ones. Poor Omaha! You might have to sit out one night with your shotgun and get whatever critter is after him. xoxo
(1)

Tim, Like everyone else I am so sorry. You might want to look into alternative treatment centers who help many people when traditional medicine fails. That is if Laura is even able to do it. What ever you do keep venting all you need to, we are here for you.
Tbailey, it doesn't take much talent to copy and paste, lol
*´¨)
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•` ¤ Chirp Chirp Cricket
(1)

Tim I am soooo sorry for your bad news It just plain SUCKS!!!!!.... Its hard to understand anything when they give you news like that I lost my mom to cancer and the dr. called my numb. to say I needed to bring mom in he needed to talk to us about her latest test she was working a full time job. After she got off my dad & i took her there The dr. said maybe 3 months and she lived 3 wonderful years. She was going to make sure of it.... Thats what sucks about poor Laura I see where you wrote about her memory. Im so sad for you and Laura and I as a woman with a 10 year old daughter. My heart aches for you & your family.. Hospice is god sent though they are great. My prayers & thoughts are with you please stick around Tim I would have already lost my mind if it wasnt for this place Wonderful caring people here.....
Diane maybe your brother don't want to fill paper out because he thinks his money situation will be looked at.... Maybe its dirty money he was giving her lol
YOU just stick in there ...YOUr siblings are IDIOTs like so many more. :)
Cricket you are so talented.......How did you learn that.. wow
Bobbie glad to hear boat angel still there... Hope you are having good weather.
Bookworm maybe you would of got it cheaper with the short shorts,,lol
Meanwhile Thats funny ..... bobbie said the one about the taking the dump in trashcan well my mother in law one day seen a pink ceramic bowl sitting there one day and said hand me that Im thinking NO but ask why she sAid well I need to use it I said whaT for? She said I need that bed pan right now just give it here I said well its not a bed pan its my bowl for kitchen ( we dont even have a bed pan ) lord thank god I was in there or the story might b grosser........
HEllo CAttails!!!!!!!! Hope all is good today for everyone or as good as it gets...
(2)

Oh, Tim...Honestly, I don't even know what to say to you, aside from I'm so sorry its turned out this way, and that you, Laura, and the kids are in my thoughts, and that my heart aches for you.
(2)

Ty guys so much ...no i don't being this my career I can accept it on a lot of levels the had part is the emotional and right now I'm trying to block that as for Laura thankfully the cancer is attacking the short term memory so she doesn't know or should I say aknowledge what's going on for longer than a minute or so she just wants to go home and be a mom we have a 10 yr old too ....this really sucks anyway Ty guys for your support god bless
(4)

Plumbers came and went. They were 2 young men. After they left, my dad looked at me critically from head to toe. He then asked me how come I didn't make myself look good. Uhm...I usually wear old blouse and a short short jeans. In preparation for "plumber visitors", I wore a capri jeans and a simple blouse that I wear to work - nothing that would tell them that I dressed especially for them. Just last xmas, our sewage got clogged. I didn't change - but wore my usual skimpy blouse (spaghetti strap) with short short jeans. The plumber was a young guy who was flirting with me. I thought he was just being very friendly. Oldest bro just stood there and stared. After plumbers left, he accused the guy of flirting with me. Bro said that if the plumber found out my age, he would be running in the opposite direction. So, this time, I decided Not to wear my short shorts and have more coverage on top. Dad goes and says that I should have "prettied myself up"! He gets a kick when the male nurse comes over. He likes to watch the nurse look me up and down...then stare at my butt! Gotta go. Time to change both their pampers then dinner.
(3)

cattails, you crack me up lol. As for AARP, I'm only 43, I've been getting invitations from them to join since I was 36. I even called them and told them to stop sending me mail that I'm not old enough to join yet. I'm thinking I should send them one of those hearing aid convention cards I also keep getting.
(3)

Tim: I am so sorry to hear this news. I think you summed it up in your statement, "It just amazes me how in less than 2 weeks we went from being cured to you have less than 2 months too live ." How is Laura taking this news? And how are you taking it? Please stay with us during the coming months and let us know what is going on. Others have walked in your shoes and they know how it feels.

You are not alone and at the same time you are. No one can do this walk for you or for Laura. I'm so sorry Tim. Do you even know how or what you are feeling right now? At some point I hope you can share that with us, but it may take time for you to grasp the news you have received.

I am keeping you and Laura in my prayers. Love and Hugs, Cattails
(2)

I am so sorry for your pain....know it well....they told us maybe 1week!!! I was so young and silly that I said well, that IS unacceptable. We had 3 'babies' all under 5 and twins almost 18!! He actually made 19 mo!!!! and almost all was quality time...we made it that way, ever have a picnic while someone is getting chemo? You can try and fight and sometimes you get more, not always....but share and try to put a positive spin to it. I will pray for God's peace and for His will to be done.
(2)

well.....so heres the up date we went for test on friday mainly scans mri with contrast .ct scan bone density etc then on sat we went for a obgyn appt all went pretty well in this process she was extreamly confused with no change then yesterday we went for a second attempt on lauras lumbar pucture which was a success when we got back to our home away from home i called to make sure there was no changes in our scheduleand the doctor got on and told me they are stopping the process that the mri showed cancer again and we needed to go see our regular oncologist on tuesday (today) who is the worlds leader in her type of cancer so we met today with him and the basis of the conversation is they have done everything and they gave us a limit of time any where from a couple weeks to 2 months ....so i called hospice today and we meet with the family tomorrow to discuss her care but i told laura and her family that im not going anywhere even thoough this is a care thing she was my gf before all of this and that will not change its just amazes me how in less than 2 weeks we went from being cured to you have less than 2 months too live ....WOW still trying to understand it but i do wanna thank not only bobbi for creating this thread for people like me to come and vent but the "lifers" who keep it gooing thank you and god bless ...Tim and Laura
(4)

Hey Meanwhile2: To heck with your mom and her hair. My mom use to drive me nuts with her hair stuff. Every morning fix it, then color it, the whatever.

That's nothing compared to our Omaha. I hope this sweet angel is not going to be a magnet for catastrophe. He is such a love. How is his nose? Sending sugar cubes and carrots to our boy. Love, Cattails
(1)

Diane; Join us on the class on weight loss. I wish I could get my 2x4 in swinging distance of your brother.

OK: I know it's irritating when you get something for AARP when you are 50, but what really pisses me off is when I get shit from the Neptune Society.

Bobbie: I'm dense for sure. What is it about penisula? I live on a peninsula, so maybe I........oh, does it have something to do with penis-ula? How do we phrase this? The Isle of Dick? The coast-of-cock? The erectus-amongus? The dickoderby? The cockofarms? It's hard to beat Jim and the two twins. Now that is funny.

Love you all, Cattails
(1)

Mom is pissed at me. I was supposed to cut her hair today, but ended up taking Omaha (the horse that is just recovering from a cougar bite), to the vet again. He some how got a 6 inch gash in his chest. It isn't too serious, but he got 12 staples put in to close it up. The Vet said we should change his name to Lucky.
Yeah, Cricket, it was a toss up as to who looked more shocked when Sam came up with that pregnant statement.
(3)

Way to go Bobbie you still got it even in your senior years.
Lovya Cuz
(1)

LMAO Bobbie!
(0)

okay Diane
(0)

Cricket, love the chocolate bar art. You are so creative! I will send you my email on FB, ok?

I hope Harleighkwin that posted a short time ago will find us on GO. She needs the support of this group and the acceptance to vent all those negative caregiver feelings we all have.
(2)

Judy you can get away with the senior discount anytime the cashier is under 25 lol

Shirley I wonder who's face looked more shocked at the time, the doctor's or yours? That's pretty funny!
(1)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter