Follow
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
angelhair: if you go to one of the many coconut oil websites, they warn that too much coconut oil can cause diarrhea. They recommend 3 tbs. per day. I have been taking 3+ a day, and have had no side effects at all...of course, everyone is different. So, if you have a senior who has had problems with constipation, co may help.
C.O. is also used to ward off the effects of PD. So I use it as a preventative measure.
On the other hand, I have heard that coconut macroons are good for diarrhea...for some reason the Archway brand is the best...who knew??
(1)

Hey Y'all,

Its a beautiful chilly Sunday morning in SC. I cant seem to get myself moving to go to church today. Still been under the weather with IBS. Seems like the worse I feel the more mom knows how to push my buttons and get on my every nerve. We did get to the concert last night and she seemed to enjoy it. I have tickets for another today, but right now I physically don't have it in me to take her. I feel like someone is trying to rip my guts out. I'm suffering from burn-out so bad and I don't know what direction to turn for help. The minute money is mentioned the siblings turn ugly. I can't put mom in respite care, because I don't have the money myself. I feel like I'm banging my head against a wall and getting nowhere. Sorry I'm being so down. It's hard to be positive when you feel like crap both physically and mentally.

I hope the bakers had good luck with their cookies and fudge. I haven't done any baking yet since I need to find something that will be ok for James to eat when the other goodies are about.

Have a good day everyone wherever you are.

Love ya,
Diane
(2)

Oh, how could I forget Barb, Lilli and Kim? Love you all.
(3)

Hello all, just checking in to say hello. Mom and I are doing well. I've been trying to keep up with what's going on with you all. Diane, I'm so sorry you are still having trouble with the family. Sometimes you just have to give up and walk away. I've had to do that with my brother. Haven't heard from him in months and don't expect to hear from him in the near future. I think all he wants to hear is that mom is gone. Well, I got news for him. She is fine and will probably be around for quite a while. He can just get over it.
MW2.....honey, you've had enough to deal with without feeling guilty about sending out cards this year. Let someone else do it or just skip it. Listen to the wise voices on this thread, they're giving you good advice.
Ross....sorry about kitty and you car getting soaked. You do have very unusual accidents. Never a dull moment at your place. Try not to work so hard. I know you have to, but try to get your rest too.
Hello to Cricket, SS, Christina, Austin, Rip,Ted, Cuz, Golf, Angelhair welcome and hello, Jen, Miz, Bobbie hope you are well and getting some rest, Linda and Pa, I know I'm forgetting others forgive me I really don't have a good memory.
Hope y'all enjoy your holidays, stay away from the fruit cake and spend time with deserving family. I hope all your parents, grandparents etc that you're careing for are calm and let you have some peace.
Diane, it's sounds like James is on the mend. I'm so happy for you.
I hope the new year brings new jobs for those who need them, which is just about all of us.
Take care all of you. Love and many many hugs.
Ann
(3)

Coconut Oil? For diarhea? Oh no. If it is used every day then, will it cause constipation? The reason I wonder is because my mother-in-law heard that coconut oil helps alzhiemers so she wants me to cook all of her husbands food with it. Should I be warry of how much to actually use?
(0)

Thanks cricket I can make macaroons...crazy simple cookies those are!
(1)

MONDAY

The mother of a 17-year-old girl was
concerned that her daughter was having sex.
Worried the girl might become pregnant and adversely impact the
family's status, she consulted the family doctor.
The doctor told her that teenagers today were very wilful and any
attempt to stop the girl would probably result in rebellion. He then
told her to arrange for her daughter to be put on birth control and
until then, talk to her and give her a box of condoms.
Later that evening, as her daughter was preparing for a date, the mother
told her about the situation and handed her a box of condoms.
The girl burst out laughing and reached over to
hug her mother, saying,

'Oh Mom! You don't have to worry about that! I'm dating Susan!'

TUESDAY

A man went to church one day and afterward
he stopped to shake the preacher's hand.
He said, 'Preacher, I'll tell you, that was a
damned fine sermon. Damned good!'
The preacher said,
'Thank you sir, but I'd rather you didn't use profanity.'
The man said, 'I was so damned impressed with that sermon I put five
thousand dollars in the offering plate!'

The preacher said, 'No shit?'

WEDNESDAY

Brenda and Steve took their six-year-old son to the doctor.
With some hesitation, they explained that although their little angel
appeared to be in good health, they were concerned about his rather small penis.
After examining the child, the doctor confidently declared, 'Just feed him pancakes. That should solve the problem.'
The next morning when the boy arrived at breakfast, there was a
large stack of warm pancakes in the middle of the table.
'Gee, Mom,' he exclaimed. 'For me?'

'Just take two,' Brenda replied. 'The rest are for your father.'

THURSDAY

One night, an 87-year-old woman came home from
Bingo to find her 92-year-old husband in bed with another woman..
She became violent and ended up pushing him off the balcony of their 20th floor apartment, killing him instantly.
Brought before the court, on the charge of murder, she was asked if she had anything to say in her defence.
'Your Honour,' she began coolly, 'I figured that at 92, if he could screw, he could fly.'

FRIDAY

A Doctor was addressing a large audience in Tampa .
'The material we put into our stomachs is enough to have killed most of us sitting here, years ago. Red meat is awful. Soft drinks corrode your stomach lining. Chinese food is loaded with MSG. High fat diets can be disastrous, and none of us realises the long-term harm caused by the germs in our drinking water. However, there is one thing that is the most dangerous of
all and we all have eaten, or will eat it. Can anyone here tell me what food it is that causes the most grief and suffering for years after eating it?'
After several seconds of quiet, a 75-year-old
man in the front row raised his hand, and softly said,

'Wedding Cake.'

SATURDAY

Bob, a 70-year-old, extremely wealthy widower, shows up at the Country Club with a breathtakingly beautiful and very sexy 25-year-old blonde-haired woman who knocks everyone's socks off with her youthful sex appeal and charm and who hangs over Bob's arm and listens intently to his every word. His buddies at the club are all aghast.
At the very first chance, they corner him and ask, 'Bob, how'd you get the trophy girlfriend?'
Bob replies, 'Girlfriend? She's my wife!'
They are knocked over, but continue to ask. 'So, how'd you persuade her to marry you?'
'I lied about my age', Bob replies.
'What, did you tell her you were only 50?'

Bob smiles and says, 'No, I told her I was 90.'

SUNDAY

Groups of Americans were traveling by tour bus through Holland.
As they stopped at a cheese farm, a young guide led them through
the process of cheese making, explaining that goat's milk was used.
She showed the group a lovely hillside where many goats were grazing.
'These' she explained, 'Are the older goats put out to pasture when they no longer produce.'
She then asked, 'What do you do in America with your old goats?'

A spry old gentleman answered, 'They send us on bus tours!
(4)

Linda I hope your husband is alright. Can you check his blood pressure?
Diane, I agree with everyone, you have nothing to apologize for. As much as I miss my husband, watching him get worse everyday was even harder.
Thanks for the ideas for Christmas cards. I am not going to worry about them. I will answer people that send a card later. This maybe a good way to trim down my list for next year.
(3)

Oh dear Jen! If you can get your hands on some Coconut Oil a couple of spoonfuls of that is known to stop diarrhea in it's tracks. Coconut Macaroons are also a good substitute.

Kimmy, sorry you've been sick but glad you're getting better.. oh no more of the streak=================!!

Nighty night all. XOXO Cricket
(1)

I told mom someone needed a prayer for fudge making..she said what ever helps is worth a try...man I have never had luck with fudge so fussy and delicate and contrary. Best of luck with it! It is so good when it turns out all I know is seizing and near total pan destruction! I'll stick to baking cookies. Now peanut brittle i do well...Go figure...
grandpa has had diarrhea three days now,,were almost out of Lysol...and mom gives him soup cause he has a cold, great great, she doesn't seem to notice she sits down on the toilet after he has been in there and there is feces smeared on the seat...(unless I get to it and clean it first) God how can she stand it! He has coughed so much mom says he is getting laryngitis ah so some good has come of it....
Watched Elf, hilarious.
Christina, I know what you mean about still wanting to give things to people who you don't like are mean or don't like you either..What IS that? Some pathetic desire to please? Or just want things to go well even if they don't or can't? I fight it and especially with incest abuse issues...I do not exchange gifts with my abusive brother period. For the first time I didn't even send a thank you note for the stupid gift certificate he mailed me. I threw it away...
Trying Spritz...a little baking prayer here too eh? Thanks All...Good Weekend!
(3)

Hi everybody! I think I have had the flu! I feel better today, but still a little on the green side! Have watched Christmas vacation x3! Ron and Hannah say I am like Uncle Lucas and Dad is Aunt Bethany! Tree not up yet! Tonight I think! Dad did another strip tease in the living room! Lucky for us it faces the woods! LOL Oh and lets not forget the squirrel scene in the movie! That really hits home! Been reading your posts, but didn't feel good enough to post myself! I am going to keep it short! Got to rest Thursday and Friday and think that helped me feel better! Love you all! XXOO Kimmy

Meanwhile, don't worry about Christmas cards! Take care of yourself now! You don't need anything overwhelming you right now! XXOO

Diane, you have nothing to apologize for at all! We all understand and support you! XXOO

Cricket-Thanks for always being there! XXOO

Linda - Is it cold enough here or what? I can tell Bandit really loves you! You are his person! He is happy when he is with you! XXOO

Rossella- my Mom used to say walk between the raindrops! LOL Your sense of humor and things that happen to you, remind me of her! She would always take it in stride and joke about it! That is why I loved her so much! XXOO

Barb-Hope your daughter gets to come home! That would be great!

Love and hugs to all! Going to put a hot pack on my neck and head, plus Dad has made an appearance! Clothes on whew! Kimmy
(2)

Went to Walmart today and saw a "video" Chirstmas card with music....it was cute...had the story of the Magi....can't imagine what they will come up with next year...
(1)

Hi everyone, Diane you have no need to apologize...you are a beautiful person.
Christina, I will be your sister when you need one. I would love to have a sister like you!

It's rainy and gloomy here today and still warm outside. Instead of sending out Christmas cards to family and friends that really don't care I've been sending them out to the people that we have to interact with on a regular basis, the the family Doctor, the Vet, The Pharmacy, Dog Groomer, Home Health Care that helps Dad with bathing, etc. etc. It feels good to let these people know how much we appreciate them for being there for us when we need them.

Love you all, Cricket
(3)

Was going through some deductions for mom and saw the the IRS says you can deduct expenses for abortions but no help for a burial. Ok, so it's legal to murder a child and get a right-off, that's sick! Yet nothing for leaving the death of a parent up to God!!! Sorry guys, guess it's just gonna be one of those days!
(2)

Wow first of al apologies for saying James when I meant Sam in my earlier post. Thanks Rip.

And secondly - no apologies needed here! Whether we are stil actively caregiving or not its still a difficult time of year. Siblings are either completely silent or openly vicious. Our parents have either passed and we are left to (in some cases our 1st) holiday season without them, they are too oblivious to care whether its Christmas or not, or they are despondent over the holiday.

Christine that was so cold of your sister. Do they sit around trying to think of novel ways to inflict pain? I truly believe some do. For years i sent my crazy brother thpoughtout gifts just because. A numbered print of the ship he was stationed on in the Navy, framed photos of the family he had never seen, his favorite home-baked cookies. He never responded or reciprocated. This year I have so much new stuff on the family tree, and printing it up and sending it to both my brothers would be something I would have already done - but as each has made it abundantly clear that they don't give a hoot about living family, why would I suppose they would care about the dead ones?

Spent the morning cleaning my youngest's old bedroom as my middle daughter may possibly come to town, and if so will probably give a "I'm at the airport come gt me" kind of notice. Too cold for grave hunting.
(2)

Meanwhile2: this is your Season to RECEIVE and HEAL. Don't worry about it. Those who matter will communicate with you. If they don't know, when they find out they will make it up to you. Or some don't. Some people do not know how to deal with other's tragedy. Or even their own. CYBER HUGS 2 U :)
(2)

Ro, our memories are never lost! Merry Christmas, my dear friend!!!
(1)

Amen, Diane.
About Holiday Greetings and cards: I like to receive a nice card with a brief message from people I Know. The 'holiday letters' from others about their trips, promotions, how perfect their kids are-- pass. If I know them well enough, I already know this info. If I don't know them well enough, I couldn't give a flying reindeer. I have found this to me a season of random behavior. Some people are not consistent, but I think the is circumstantial; some send a card and or gift
every year, and others just block it out. I bought stamps yesterday, had not bought any for awhile-- rarely mail anything, do everything online, except for birthday cards. Set baking ingredients out last night to make hubby some oatmeal cookies with raisins, dried cherries, walnuts, chocolate chips. Still have not decorated my tree. Sitting there boxes all over the house. Trying not to think about my son and think of all the positive things instead. Good to see Careshare:) Diane, we all have many feelings and emotions. Don't apologize-- that's one of the reasons for this thread, remember? "Vent and Live"! We are honest and accepting here, non judging. We support you and everyone who expresses their thoughts and feelings. I've been crying for the last few days, but I am used to being invisible so I briefly mention it and instead focus on others. That way, I feel better by thinking of someone else, and maybe my own hurts will go away. Last year, I shopped for my sister and her husband like I did every year. She sent Crabtree and Evelyn set for Mother, said I would get some use of it too-- when I put it on Mothers hands. Then after she received my presents, she gave me a candle in a brown paper bag. It was one of the coldest things she ever did to me. It hurt hurt hurt. This year, I walked through Pier One looking at the ornaments, crying, as I saw one I would buy for her, even her a$$hole husband who hates my guts. I still want to give, because that's how I am. It hurts that I have to force myself to NOT give.
Rejoice in what you do have. Transfer the giving to those who deserve it. Enjoy the Present. Bake cookies and fudge. Love you all, Christina xo
(5)

My favorite movie for Christmas is still The Family Stone! A Lot of laughs and could really relate to the family... we're all messed up but oh, how we need the laughter and humor! Brought down the decorations the day after Thanksgiving but just can't get myself to start decorating. Going to the funeral home tomorrow with dad to take an ornament to place on their tree for mom! Just going through the motions cause everything is still so surreal...I love you all!!!
(4)

REMEMBER THIS AT CHRISTMAS TIME …

According to the Alaska Department of Fish and Game, while both male and female reindeer grow antlers in the summer each year, male reindeer drop their antlers at the beginning of winter, usually late November to mid-December.

Female reindeer retain their antlers till after they give birth in the spring.

Therefore, according to EVERY historical rendition depicting Santa's reindeer, EVERY single one of them, from Rudolph to Blitzen, had to be a girl.

We should've known…...

ONLY women would be able to drag a fat-ass man in a red velvet suit all around the world in one night and not get lost.
A MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!
(5)

Diane, it's okay. I understand. You're a sweetheart. :)
(1)

Hi Y'all,

I need to apologize to each and everyone of you that have lost your mom, dad, husbands and other loved ones. You are they ones that will truly be heart broken this year to not have that special someone with you. I am so very sorry I have been so selfish to complain about my situation. My family has a choice to be with me and mom or not. You all don't. I didn't mean to be insensitive, I was just blinded by my own heart break.

I hope you all have a good day. I'm going to lay low for a little while today since my IBS is flaring up again and I'm having a lot of pain.

Love ya,
Diane
(3)

Morning all.

Meanwhile - I would wait until if and when you receive a card from his old friends - who would not be sending a card addressed to him if they knew of his passing.

With these you could respond with a simple pre-composed note you can use for all. Something like: "Thank you for remembering James this holiday season. It is with a sad heart that I tell you of James passing in November. Were he here, I know he would have wished the best of everything to you and yours."

These don't need to be holiday cards. Perhaps some simple 'blank inside' note cards. And perhaps you could ask your sister to write them for you.
(3)

Meanwhile I would not worry about card this year-the year the husband died it took me weeks to send card to those that helped me during that time and to those who sent cards and notes then I only sent a few Christmas cards-your friends who care will get in touch with you. Now I only send cards to those I will not see during the holidays. The ones I send I add a note I hate getting cards with no note all it tells me is that they still are alive. You can always write a note later on to those who you really want to get in touch with. Careshare -good to hear from you.
(1)

Diane we will all keep you out of that darn black hole -keep watching those sappy movies those family members are not worth thinking about now or ever. I watch Lifetime and Halmark movies even the ones I have already watched. To me Christmas is my church family and the music and my son and his kids and that is all I need anything else that comes along is good. Negative thought are chased away for now.
(3)

meanwhile i used to do that myself . as the cost of stamps is so high i have cut wayyy back . what i do is when i recive one im the mail then i ll send that person a card from me , im not going to send cards to people that dont send me any , know what i mean . i think one year i was too late so nobody got any cards from me . mmm thinkin about doing that again this year haha , ohh humm baaaaaaaaaaa. .
careshare ! great to hear from you and i am so glad u all are better now . stick around dear , that is one hellva bug u had there . geeze . hate those kind very bad feeing like ya just wanna die ! am glad u got better :-)
had the grandkids this evening for about 4 hrs lol , it was a pleasure ! tickling , stalin my nose and try to bite me lol all plays . they just laugh and laugh and laugh , had 2 on my lap , smothering me and id tickle them to get em off of me lol back on they go again . non stop , golly that wore me out . it was a pleasure .
hubby came home late , his face and neck is beet red . my sis said oh man he s red allover . mmm not good , what is that sign of ? high blood pressure ? or what ? i know the work is over loadin him and stressing him out , he has to go back tmr and sunday , no day of rest till weds he be on vacation and not have to go back till next year , woo woo woo he just cant wait .
ok bedtime for me , nighty nite u all x0x0
(1)

I know this seems petty, but what the heck to do about Christmas cards this year? My husband sent out almost 3 dozen Christmas cards, every year. Some to friends he had in highschool. Some of them I really don't know. I just can't bring myself to write each of them, and say he is gone. It is hard to type it here.
(2)

Hi All!
It's been a very long time since I've checked in. Too long. I'm glad to find familiar caring people on the thread. I'm sure there are a lot of new ones as well.
Rosella, I'm so sorry to hear about your kitty. It's hard to lose a family member including the furry kind.
Christina & Rip thanks for sending me so many nice emails.
I hope everyone is doing really well. I wish I could get on here more often. I don't seem to handle stress very well and I get overwhelmed easily.
Some good news, my Uncle is doing great. He had his heart surgery in July and the surgeon fixed a giant aneurism, a blocked artery and two bad valves. He was in the ICU for over 6 weeks because he caught pneumonia and sepsis, but eventually came around and is now in Assisted Living. YES, he is out of our house! I'm still overwhelmed and he is still demanding, but things are getting better. And my uncle doesn't remember ever being in the hospital which is probably a good thing. (a small side note: the hospital sent me home with his heart valve warranty. Seems so strange to get a warranty on heart valves, I mean of course they had better work or he'd be in trouble, but it just seems weird). lol.
As for me, I caught the worst flu I've ever had. I was out of work for 14 days. Conjunctivitis, nausea, severe bone pain, respiratory infection. It was awful. But I am fine now and I hope to be caught up with all my work before Christmas.
Good Night Everyone! Careshare
(4)

Stillstanding, what a nice story! Do you remember that wonderful movie of many years ago with Peter Sellers, "Being there". When he saw something he didn't like, like two boys fighting in the street, he always tried to change "the channel" with the remote.
Christina, Austin, Linda, my story about flooding the car was, I think, rather funny... Like the fire in the kitchen. When everything is over, I laugh about it! I wished my problems in life were always of this kind. I have a saint of election... Guess who? San Francesco d'Assisi! Who else? He lived nearby, sometimes I go to the places he visited and I walk in the same woods where he walked...
Resting? When holidays (and summer) approach, I rest much less, because my helpers go on vacation, so I work twice as much. This is our destiny! My happiest day in the week is Monday!!!!! I know that 99 percent of you know what I am talking about.
Diane, I miss the Christmases of many years ago, too. My mother's siblings will ignore us as usual. We shall see my brother on Dec 25, and my cousins on Dec 26, because the cousins annual meeting is an institution in our family that I hope we will never lose... But when I was a kid, we were 50 relatives gathering for all the holidays, from Christmas to New Year. It was a lot of fun and it's forever lost! I will try to make a Christmas tree tomorrow, for me and my mother at least!
(3)

Diane, family are the people who love you just the way you are and whom YOU enjoy being with (sounds like the sibs do not fill that category). Why worry about something that just is not there (perhaps never was?) Self-centered people are incapable of giving....even at Christmas time.

Rent some funny Christmas films: National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (Randy Quaid just cracks me up), A Christmas Story (like a memory of most of our childhoods), Holiday Inn (c'mon, Fred Astaire AND Bingers), The Family Stone (a new favorite), Elf, Christmas with the Kranks, The Family Man....

Pray for me, I am making the fudge recipe you sent me and adding marshmallows that Christina recommended. Fudge is EASY...right?....you promise?
(4)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter