Follow
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Christina if you use your birthdate for your password at the site it doesn't let you do it. try changing it. I signed up for the chat today also.

AnnT please do post your recipe :) Sweet Potatoes are one of the sweets I allow myself to have because of all the good nutrients in them.

Today I was reading an article on the different urine smells related to another illness and learned that a strong sour odor can mean a UTI. I wanted to share that with everyone here in hopes that this inf. might be used to help identify UTI's in our elderly folks. *Hugs* Cricket
(1)

I went to site and did basic sign up, but couldn't finish. Is there going to be an official group name and do we need that to sign up? Somebody please send me an email explaining. I am all over today, but hope tonight to get to it. I started to post earlier and got distracted. Ann, hope you will post Sweet Potato Pie recipe on Favorite Recipes thread:) more later. Hugs xo
(0)

Good Afternoon all,

Cuz I loved the "I believe" post so much that I pasted it to the Caregiver Affirmations thread so anyone looking there can enjoy it as well. Thanks for posting that. It's a great reminder for all of us to focus on what's really important in life.
(0)

Hi Barb, I like the chat option and saved the email so when I get the time one of these nights I will set it up and let you know. I love the idea of a chat room for all of us so we can talk live with each other when we need it. The only problem that might interfere with it would be the time factor. We don't all have the same minutes to sit down and that's where the postings works out well. But even so I think it's a good option and it could really be a big help in a time of need, so I'm all for it. Thanks for setting it up. I should see you soon on there circumstances and Memory allowing, LOL
(2)

Ann your FB photo was lovely of you and hubby. Thanks for sharing.

On your sweet potato pies, do you bake or boil the potatoes before mashing?
Like you, I make a simple pie - back home I would make my pies on Wednesday, and make extra to take to the rescue mission.
--
In Mom's last year I changed her eating schedule to accomodate her increasing erractic sleep patterns. (She would sleep most of the time for days, then be awake mostly 24/7 for days) Waking her up to feed her did not always work, and when she was too sleepy she would absolutely refuse food (as she should have!). Still, until her final month, she never refused food when repeatedly offered, and without exception would clean her plate.

This last year was when I switched almost exclusively to the Gerber Toddler Entrees as the base of her meal. It was always ready, she really liked the taste and the dozen or so different varieties (including things like different raviolis, chicken, spaghetti) and l as I trusted the nutrition value because I fed gerber to my babies.

At around $2.00 a meal, her meal prep became quick and easy - and if she woke at midnight wanting to eat it could be ready in minutes and prepared by any of us with no hassle. All these meals were supplemented with additional fruit cups, fresh fruit,veggie cups, bread and butter, etc. This worked well for us.

She ate two'large' meals a day then, one about 10am the other around 4pm. Snacks (a cheese or jelly sandwich, a cup of soup or mac and cheese) were offered midday, mid evening, and often as an incentive to "bedtime". After too many incidences with spilled milk, juice and the ants, Mom only had water as a beverage (in a sip cup with a straw), and the occassional milkshake which she loved.

When Hospice came, they were surprised at how robustly healthy Mom was in her size and coloring and very normal blood pressure. She never did lose any weight in her arms (where they measure).

I say all this to suggest maybe its time to mix things up to prompt a renewed interest in food! Or if she's able, a new place to eat it - by a window, or even in front of the TV! Whatever it takes to fuel her appetite.

Love you guys. Do let me know if you are interested in the doing the 'chat' thing. RIP and I found a lovely room to meet in.
(3)

Speaking of pie...I made 4 sweet potato pies friday. Been giving them away to friends and family. My two youngest sons love them. I can't keep them around the house or I'll eat them. Don't need to do that! They're very good. Light and fresh. Not a bunch of spices in them so the potato flavor comes thru. Actually only butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla with a sm can of evap milk and the potaoes of course. Easy easy pie.

My night out was great. Had a nice steak and went to a movie. then walked around walmart for a while and came home. It was nice not to have to hurry back.

I'm up with RLS right now. Just took a second dose of my med for it. Hope it kicks in soon. I really can't stand that feeling!

Mom is going to bed earlier and earlier these days. She won't eat any dinner and just wants to go to bed around 5 pm. Somethings going on with her but I can't put my finger on it. She's losing ground for some reason. The nurse should come tomorrow and I'll talk to her about it.

Love you all. Hope you have an uneventful evening.
(1)

Cuz-That was beautiful! Thanks for sharing!
(2)

Lilli-I add coffee to my cream too! Husband and daughter joke about it all the time! That pie sounds delicious! Pass me a slice! Thanks! Oh here it is! Yum!
(1)

Everyone take a slice of pie and pass it around. Coffee is brewing: Starbuck's Anniversary blend....soon Christmas blend will be in the stores....my all time favorite. I take it with a lot of cream, thank you very much....hub says I should add coffee to my cream...such a jokester!
(3)

Wisdom
I also believe in all that is written below.
Read it slowly!

I BELIEVE...

A Birth Certificate shows that we were born.

A Death Certificate shows that we died.

Pictures show that we lived!

Have a seat . . . Relax . . .. And read this slowly...
I Believe....
That just because two people argue, that
doesn't mean they don't love each other.
And just because they don't argue, that
doesn't mean they do love each other.

I Believe...
That sometimes when I'm angry
I have the right to be angry,
but that doesn't give me the right to be cruel.

I Believe...
That we don't have to change friends
if we understand that friends change.

I Believe...
That no matter how good a friend is,
they're going to hurt you every once in a while
and you must forgive them for that.

I Believe...
That true friendship continues to grow,
even over the longest distance.
Same goes for true love.

I Believe...
That you can do something in an instant
that will give you heartache for life.

I Believe...
That it's taking me a long time
to become the person I want to be.

I Believe...
That you should always leave loved ones
with loving words.
Itmay be the last time you see them.

I Believe...
That you can keep going long after you think you can't.

I Believe...
That we are responsible for what we do,
no matter how we feel.

I Believe...
That either you control your attitude or it controls you.

I Believe...
That heroes are the people who do what has to be done,
when it needs to be done, regardless of the consequences.

I Believe...
That money is a lousy way of keeping score.

I Believe....
That my best friend and I can do anything, or nothing,
and have the best time.

I Believe...
That sometimes the people you expect to kick you,
when you're down, will be the ones to help you get back up.

I Believe...
That maturity has more to do with
what types of experiences you've had,
and what you've learned from them...
and less to do with how many
birthdays you've celebrated.

I Believe...
That it isn't always enough to be forgiven by others.
Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.

I Believe...
That no matter how bad your heart is broken
the world doesn't stop for your grief.

I Believe...
That our background and circumstances
may have influenced who we are,
but we are responsible for who we become.

I Believe...
That you shouldn't be so eager to find
out a secret.
It could change your life forever.

I Believe....
Two people can look at the exact same
thing and see something totally different.

I Believe...
That your life can be changed in a matter of
hours by people who don't even know you.

I Believe...
That even when you think you have no more to give,
if a friend cries out to you..
you will find the strength to help.

I Believe...
That credentials on the wall
do not make you a decent human being.

I Believe...
That the people you care about most in life
are taken from you too soon..

I Believe....
That you should send this to all of the people that you believe in.
I just did.

The happiest of people don't necessarily
have the best of everything;
They just make the most of everything.

I am grateful for all the wonderful people
who help me throughout the journey of life...
(7)

I did not know this...

When you drink vodka over ice, it can give you kidney failure.

When you drink rum over ice, it can give you liver failure.

When you drink whiskey over ice, it can give you heart
problems.

When you drink gin over ice, it can give you brain problems.

Apparently, ice is really bad for you.
Warn all your friends.
(6)

Hey Lilli, Can you send me a slice of pie?
(1)

We had a turtle - teeny tiny turtle my eldest rescued from some boys seeing who could skim it farthest across the floor at a party. Mikey lived with us for many years until i fond he'd expired one morning - on my younget daughter's birthday! So i flipped him over and played dumb until the next afternoon.

Going on vacation once we braked for a large box turtle crossing the highway and took him on vacay with us - lots of pics he had a wonderful time. On the way back we dropped him off at the same place he was headed when we saved him.

I miss Georgia in that there was always a turtle to save!
(3)

lilli - it TOTALLY counts!
(1)

Just made a cherry pie. Nyom, nyom....okay, "technically," I didn't make it....but I baked it? Does that count?
(5)

I can't believe how many of us Tomboy's are here! Jen I used to like frogs until a couple weeks ago when one poisoned my Sadie Mae..

Hi Barb :) it is kinda quiet tonight. I'm tired and I'm going to try to get to bed soon. Everyone have a good nights sleep.

Love and Hugs to you all,
Cricket
(2)

Just saw this quote and thought of all us caregivers.

The world is divided into people who do things, and people who get credit. Try, if you can, to belong to the first class, there is far less competition.
~Author : Dwight Morrow Famous Quotes
(6)

Where did everybody go? Is there a naked Hugh Jackman marathon on? If so I need to know what channel. . .
(3)

Thanks KimBo. Right now I hav warm evoo on Cotten in my ears. It's like being in a vacuum. Huh? WHAT?!?! Take care everyone, of yourselves and your precious charges. Night Night.....
(1)

Cricket-I like lizards and snakes too! We have a big rat snake that lives in our backyard! We call him Oscar! Very friendly and likes to be photographed! LOL I have to get more pictures up on facebook! Wish we could post pictures here!

Oh yeah! I would trip over a flying monkey in a heartbeat! LOL Think I am becoming more and more like Mr. Magoo every day! Hail storm headed our way now! Needless to say I will not go outside to check the weather as no doubt a huge piece of hail would fall directly on my head! LOL

Rossella be careful with the oven! Every time I look at the moon, I look for you there! LOL

Christina take care of those ears! Have you tried sweet oil in them? Have drops now that will numb the pain as soon as you put it in the ear. Used to get them for Hannah when she was little. Prescription I think.

Storm is moving in, I guess I better get off here! Love you all! Kimmy, Kimbo, Kim
(1)

I like snakes and lizards too and frogs...
Glad to hear James is ON The MEND!
Rosella, I have family from Napoli and we know even after four generations we know the Northern Italians are snobs....beh.
Hope the week goes well for everyone...you know....
Jen
(1)

Cricket, I love snakes and Lizards. I have a cricket on my hearth.)
Have fun, Ann. Linda, do you mean Pa's pee was bloody? Poor baby. Not fair. Prayers of mercy, healing, and peace to ALL.
I'm going to bed with heated herbal packs on both ears.
"I'll get you my pretty, and your little dog,Toto, too." I can imitate WW of the W perfectly, along with many authentic animal sounds, including monkey sounds. Heehe. But not today. Love you, girls. And Ted and Cuz. Hugs, Christina xo
See you girls mañana.
(2)

up a horses ass? Whahaha Linda! Sorry about your Pa :(, Kimmie, the monkeys will get you but only cause you will trip over them! :) Good Luck AnnT and have fun! I had fun last night. I went over to a friends house and helped him setup his terrariums for his baby albino python and his two leper lizards. I got to hold all the critters, it was fun! The lizards were so docile that I could put them on their backs on the palm of my hand and they would stay there until I would move them. Not creepy crawly at all, but I bet some of you are squirming anyway... lol
Our Tornado weather is going to clear up in a couple of weeks, it's in the low 80's here and I'm loving it. I've been working on some outside projects when I can get outside. Tomorrow I will get a bunch of flowers potted that I've dug up from around the yard. Sports are on during the weekend so that keeps Dad occupied and he doesn't shadow me as much so I can get things done. :) Have a nice night everyone. Love you all. Chirp Chirp Cricket
(2)

Rip: Love is Blind...
(1)

Ann, enjoy your evening! :) XXOO
(1)

Linda-Got me laughing so hard about the fly! Almost spit my coffee out! Hope the bad weather stays away! Already have some tornado warnings out there! Yep, Indiana weather is crazy for sure! Hope your Pa gets better! Sounds like UTI. Be careful in this weather! We might just end up in OZ! LOL I would get picked up by one of those flying monkeys as soon as I got there I am sure! XXOO Kimmy
(1)

I'm going out tonight. Dinner and a movie with the hubby. My stepdaughter and her husband will be here. They are even staying the nite so we don't have to hurry home. Y'all wish me luck. Hopefully the ole panic disorder won't take hold of him and make us come home early.

I'll catch up tomorrow. Love to you all.
Ann
(2)

Linda, you have a unique way with words....you make me laugh every time. Love you!
(1)

Linda with her delicate prose ...
Another reason why we love her!
Imagery!
(2)

you guy are makin me blush . you all are # 1 too . :)
gotta get supper ready . geeze the wind is horrible out there .
just am not ready for winter . snifff .
fly is here buzzin around me . soon i shall whap him into the trash . flys are not allowed in here . land on food and piss n shit in food and walk on my coffee cup and have a merry ole time walkin along the rim . yuk , prob has been up in the horses ass . wheres that fly swatter at !
xoxo
(2)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter