Follow
This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Find Care & Housing
Living it lil..meanwhile I was wondering the same thing.. Maybe come and get me and put me in jail...A HA A PAID VACATION AT LAST!! Granted the food sucks the company is scary and it smells ...wait a minute that is HERE!!!.

Got another two hundred in bills yesterday too...he should pay for it, he is why I was hospitalized...like that is gonna happen. let's see, can I sell blood and plasma?

A position for Page opened up at the library again. I have done my resume, a cover letter, filled out the form and mailed it OFF!!! I can work any time and day for anything! Call Me Please...!
(1)

My mother doesn't want to do anything either. She rarely even steps out on the porch. I don't dare try to push her, mom can get really nasty and mean. My mother has always enjoyed being miserable anyway.
Well, Jen, at least your mom has developed a sense of smell. Maybe I shouldn't say this, but what are they going to do if you don't pay your medical bills? I used to work at hospitals. Lots of bills never got paid. The hospital would gets money from the county to pay for indigent care. Not that they won't hound you for the money first. Or set up a payment plan, for a very small payment each month.
Indio got sick last night, couldn't keep any food down. He finally called me, and I could tell he was not in a good way. So drove into town to check on him. He has insulin dependent type 2 diabetes. When I got to his house, he was very disoriented. Checked his blood sugar, and it was 40. Got him to drink some juice, and then some soup. Which fortunately stayed down. Spent the night on his couch to make sure he was going to be alright. Tired this morning, not much sleep.
(1)

OMG Lildeb! You just described my life! It is soooo tiring day after day trying to talk her into something fun, or to walk out to the deck and get some sun before the snow flies... She doesn't want to do anything but says she is happy watching her movies... When I tell her the things she should do to keep herself going she acts sheepishly but it doesn't make a difference. She won't change. It is so tiring trying to keep her going. My mind is fuzzy from it all... I feel like I am a failure...but I know it is her...it has always been her choice to sit and be passive and not do anything. Even when she could do more she wouldn't. But I still feel bad. I love her and want her to be happy. Is she happy? I hope so. Heroic efforts... that is what it feels like. Ugh.
Sunny day here... hoping to clean up some summer stuff from the back yard... Maybe she will come watch me from her deck chair on this gorgeous fall day... I can hope...
(1)

Hi Everyone n hope all r doing well.
Cuz, I hope your friend is able to get mom into a facility since she is not eating n not taking her insulin for that is going to go downhill really fast. Especially, if her mom is type one insulin dependent. However, we all know it’s not that easy depending on the financial situation n family members that we don’t ever hear from until the last end.
Mame, u make a good point about the not eating n drinking n how much r we to force or just let nature take its course. Maybe that would be a good article post that this site could make for suggestions.
My mil n moderate stage n she is trying to sleep n later during the day. I waited until 12:00 lunch n finally had to make her get out of bed so she could eat something n take her AM meds! I told her that, she not going to die n their just because she has decided to lay n bed all freaking day! He will come n get ya when he is ready. She is n good health n gain some weight because I push her n the help of Ensure when she was on hospice. Yet, it does get tiresome n when do u know when to stop pushing. She is getting where she wants to fill up on liquids than the food item on her plate. This woman can walk around when we shop n can sometimes have good short conversations. I don’t understand why she is trying to just lay n bed n waste her life away? I have puzzles, games, even offer for her to go outdoors n enjoy nature n she just negative n even music to change stuff around a bit. At least Wed, I can get her to church for 4hrs for respite. Hubby, will make his mom sometimes go for a walk n we will go slow…slow.. n all she will do is pick out negative stuff. “I am too old for this,” or “I don’t see anyone else my age out walking,” etc. However, when we do point out some others, she replies, “They must be use to it.” U damn straight! They don’t’ sat on their ass all day or n the bed! We try to explain it good for her heart n leg muscles. She will even tell her own son that he is just making her walk because he is fat. I got onto her for that comment for that was just wrong n hateful. Now, she will tell everyone else that she gets out n does this n that but she don’t tell them that because we have to make her. Well, she has a b-day next month n as my mom use to say, “If the Good Lord is willing then, she will have make it another day.” ; ) Oh, she don’t celebrate b-days either for she don’t like to be reminded of age. However, she does like the gifts that I get for her. Gotta luv it. So when do we stop pushing n let nature take its course or because they have Alzheimer’s they don’t know whats good for them or do they really know? She still knows everyone, can add n probable got another 10yrs that’s if I keep making her eat her meals n drinking but when his enough. Putting her n a NH would seem like sentence her to her death before her time. I have mention the NH to her that when she gets too weak to walk that my little ass 87lbs will not be able to lift her 80lb butt up n that she will have to go to a NH. Well, she gets all pissy n eats then. But, how many times do u have to throw that it in n it seems cruel to say that but it’s the only thing that seem to get her to eat good. She has also picked up this moaning sound constantly n I have asked her if she is n pain n no she replies n she tells me it’s a habit. Where did that come from? Is that another part of Alz? Enough of complaining n trying to figure out what right n wrong for I will just have to continue to keep her going I guess until I give up.

Jen, I hope u r able to find some peace n quite to give yourself some rest for u need some too.
(1)

Yup terrir and Tonks...they keep us on our toes! And keep us laughing! Welcome to the thread where we vent and live! A much needed release!
(2)

I'm on my second client who also happens to be the mother of a friend. .. both have advanced alzheimers and dig in my bag when I'm in the loo. The funniest thing they grab are my tampons. I ask "why do you need those? You are over the age of 60?" They crack up and give them back. I hide my bag well!

I think finding a hiding place for your brush may be in order and let momma act like Ariel from "The Little Mermaid."
(3)

We have to dive to sink to do the dishes after dinner. Sometime we just would like to sit and chat. But mom has forgotten you need to use soap to wash dishes. And constantly blows her noes at the dinner table. YUK
(3)

I think we are getting "there". You know nursing home considerations "there"...Mom had a really hard time bathing him last night and has "discovered" he is now sitting in pee pants all day for days...Um, you can't do that. She tells him his skin will break down and he will get bed sores. I restrain myself from telling her, he is moving into a stage where he will need NURSING care, not living at home, family care...And I think bathing once a week, is not cutting it. this is the third time I have heard: "You need to wash really good! there is a really strong smell of urine! and if I can smell it, so can other people...And we don't want that..." Good God Ma! I have been telling you the house reeks of old man piss for four years now...
He is having a lot of trouble just getting in and out of the wheel chair, so I am hoping, praying, that this is soon to end. And then we can deal with having no money at all...The rest of my medical bills have come...all but the hospitalization. I am hundreds in debt now...
I said I am going to try and cut therapy to every other week..save twenty there of my three hundred...She said you need to do what you need to for you health (sanity)...Well ma where is the money coming from eh!? And you only get 10 visits on Basic Health any way! God I feel sick...
Another week over. Hope everyone is doing Ok. glad you DR. app went well mame. Good Weekend All!
(2)

Thanks Meanwhile. It did go well. Funny thing is-EVERYONE was asking about my son! The Dr & I talked more about him than me! But it all went well. Got my flu shot. Mom goes on Monday and gets hers.
Gonna be a beautiful weekend here! I keep telling mom that we need to get out on the deck and enjoy this nice weather cause soon the house will be all buttoned up and we won't want to go out in the cccooolld! She hasn't taken me up on it tho. So sad.
Third day in a row I have heard geese flying over the house! It's a comin! :(
Hope everyone has a decent Friday. Mame
(1)

Hope your Dr appointment went well, Mame.
(1)

Funny, my mom always used to repeat that statistic.... I wonder what she would say about it now??? Things that make you go hmmmmm....
Dr appt today for me! Fun fun... I think I am good regardless of all the stress recently. Now, if it was a counseling session...that might be another story!
So quiet now that school is in session... very lonely. I hate when summer is over cause then ppl don't even pop in or call anymore...
Gotta get mom up and then get ready for my appt! Wish me luck! (please)
(2)

Yeah, then there is that statistic...Killing us, to save them? Um this does not sound like a good trade off?...
(2)

There does come a time when the NH is the answer and the person who is caregiver knows when that is the answer and just needs to listen to their head-you don't get any points for killing yourself-60% of caregivers die before the one they are caring for and caregivers become invisible to others-save yourself -been there.
(3)

Hey Cuz-your story brings up a good question. At what point, when the person you care for doesn't want to take their meds, or get out of bed, or drink...do you just let them not do those things? Do we send them to a nursing home so they will be forced to do those things? Or do we let nature take its course? How many times does one send this person to a hospital for IV fluids to rehydrate them-when they just come back home or to the NH and don't drink again? I know that many of these people are not thinking straight because of the disease-but maybe the not drinking or not eating is just the natural progression of things... I am seriously asking this question as I am struggling with it all with mom... and I am not sure a NH is the answer...but I am thinking about it. Ugh. Thanks, Mame.
(1)

A friend of the wife's is finding out first hand the sickness of a demented mother. She has been caring for her going onto 4 yrs now. Her mother is a diabetic and she now refuses to take her insulin and also is to the point of not eating. Both my wife and myself have told her to get her out of the house and into a facility that can deal with her. Poor Cindy is about 2 clicks from having a nervous breakdown. Hopefully now she can see what is going on a forget the promise she made to her dad (who is gone now) that she would watch ma. She also has the same problems that most of you gals have in that the brother and sisters won't help.
Thanks for letting a noncaregiver let off a little steam tonight. Love ya all and hugs your way.
luvCuz
(3)

Funny hat day huh..My mother would throw a funny hat back at me faster than I could duck.
Mame so glad your son is back to school and doing better.
(1)

OMG...I just looked up another post from a woman who is at her wits end with a mother with dementia who refuses any outside help and a woman who was once here but left because no one wanted to do her "old time religion" responded in several posts that she should try serving high tea or have a "Funny Hat's day" to lighten things up...My God I had not thought of that. Any room fp leaves a Depends in reeks like a diaper pail for a day after it's removal, he moans and complains, leers and makes rude comments...Ya why did I think of that "Funny Hat Day"!!! Chya that will really lighten the load here.

I can even see what she is saying and WHY she is saying it, but really...?It just seems sort of obtuse to say, "You should go do some fun things with your nearly incapacitated loved one, for whom you have financially screwed yourself, given up all your free time, quit your job, wreaked your health, permanently damaged other family relationships for, not to mention taken years off your own life to care for, in an un-paid thank less undertaking that will very possibly last for YEARS!"

Yeah bring on the Fez!

This is how I was in 2010...book

it seems kind annoying? Jen
(1)

I think it is a tissue issue; the smashing part of a breast exam, they want as much surface as possible to scan?...MM so fun...Where else am I gonna hear.."OK, I am going to touch you here and move your breast for a fuller nipple view..." Hmm Merry Christmas! blea Jen

fp is spilling more and moaning more here too, I am hopping it is a good sign...
(0)

Mame, sounds like your mom has a keen eye n probable because it was n her room. It amazes me how certain things they can remember. Now lets just hope she will use the new machine. Glad you were able to visit your son n that he his in good spirit n trying to catch up on school work too. Not cold here yet but u can feel the fall weather n see a little fall color kicking too. Sounds like u r n good spirit too n it nice to hear that on hear from others when it happens. Cherish those moments everyone. ;)
Cuz, u always know how to say the right thing in a sense of humor, luv it!
Jen, sorry u had to go to the booby smasher machine, I cannot stand those things! U think there would be a newer easier way by now with today's technology. Come on woman physician n inventors....
meanwhile, u know a man's truck like a man's remote t.v., control buttons, u cannot take it away. ; )
Thanks Sharyn, I think hubby said he had one more test to get done on 25th. he doesn't like telling me anything so I don't freak out. yet, he expects me to tell him about my doc visits.
Well, we r officially off Hospice for the mil has gained a whopping 81lbs. Add a lb or 2 for not having a bm that day. lol. Anyway, that is good for her for she will probable never weigh like she should for her BMI. She does seem to have a few days of being n lala land for some reason. I try to get her to do stuff to keep her a little busy sometimes. She also for past month has started this moaning sound. Is that another part of Alz? she also while at Walmart, spit on the floor or let's just say, let some drool of spit drop on the floor n when I got onto her, she simply just took the bottom of her foot n swiped it sort of away. I told her to let me know when she needs to spit but not on the floor. That I can take u to the bathroom or get a tissue. I guess she had too much Polident in her bottom teeth? I was so embarrassed. So, I walked her toward her son n explain to him what just happen (for she will never do that crap around him) n I said, "your turn!" n I walked off to finish shopping. Gotta luv it right! ; ) I hope everyone has a good week.
(1)

Hi all.
Lildeb-my son will be on blood thinners until the blood clots are gone. Prob about 6 months. He can't have surgery till after that. We went down to school and saw him yesterday. He looks good and is trying to catch up with all the school work. It was great to see him. He is doing phys therapy on the knee/leg and it is going well.
Mom is mom. So funny-she got a new Oxygen machine...they brought it while she was sleeping. As she walked past it she says-"what's that?" And I didn't think she'd even notice! Ya never know!
Turning colder here. I guess it has to happen... ugh.
Hope everyone has a good week. Mame
(1)

Mn hmn...meanwhile...

Another week .....
(0)

Pick up truck won't shift out of low gear. Drove stepdads van into town today. Maybe I should just trade vehicles with him. That would slow him down. Don't think he would go for it. When I got back from town, he was out there checking out his van to make sure it was alright.
(1)

ta! s'what I am thinking Cuz...NOW why won't they get me winning lotto tickets!?

FP younger sister died today...He said..."Well, these things happen..."

God, I wish that would happen to him....
(2)

Jen Them must be some high class boobs to have that kind of power to turn off machines that are going to hurt them YA THINK? Hugs to ya.
luvCuz
(2)

everyone having health checks of late. went and had the annual boob squish...when I went in my info sheet bar code shut down all the machines in the building....I will try to not take that personally...have a safe weekend all...Jen
(3)

How yodeling began in Switzerland....

Many years ago a man was traveling through the mountains of Switzerland .

Nightfall was rapidly approaching and he had nowhere to sleep. He went up to a farmhouse and asked the farmer if he could spend the night.

The farmer told him that he could sleep in the barn.

As the story goes, the farmer's daughter asked her father, 'Who is that man going into the barn?'

'That fellow traveling through,' said the farmer. 'needs a place to stay for the night, so, I told him he could sleep in the barn.'

The daughter said, 'Perhaps he is hungry .' So she prepared him a plate of food for him and then took it out to the barn.

About an hour later, the daughter returned. Her clothing disheveled and straw in her hair. Straight up to bed she went.

The farmer's wife was very observant. She then suggested that perhaps the man was thirsty. So she fetched a bottle of wine, took it out to the barn, and she too did not return for an hour. Her clothing was askew, her blouse buttoned incorrectly. She also headed straight to bed.

The next morning at sunrise the man in the barn got up and continued on his journey, waving to the farmer as he left.

When the daughter awoke and learned that the visitor was gone, she broke into tears. 'How could he leave without even saying good-bye,' she cried. 'We made such passionate love last night!'
'What?' shouted the father as he angrily ran out of the house looking for the man, who by now was halfway up the mountain.

The farmer screamed up at him, 'I'm going to get you! You had sex with my daughter!'

The man looked back down from the mountainside, cupped his hand next to his mouth, and yelled out....

''LAIDTHEOLADEETOO''
(3)

Lildeb~My mom has had kidney stones about 3 time . The last time was because she had a benign tumor on the parathyroid that was throwing calcium in the bloodstream and kidney's. After she had the tumor the removed, she had blood in her urine for a couple years. I am glad it is not serious with your husband. Yes, it can be painful!!
(1)

Sharyn, thanks n so am I. Just make sure they don’t go too close to the shoulder bone area. I got the mil n mine for free at CVS pharmacy for Medicare cover it. Of course, I didn’t get mil the new boost flu shot for 65 n older for I was too scared. We both got the regular flu shot. Glad that u got the vet to give a 10day antibiotic shot, smart thinking. That’s a good idea for Mame, go pamper yourself.
Mame, so sorry u got so much going on with the family. Thankful u was with your mom at the time of the seizure while in the bathroom. That sounded like it could have turned out dangerous. Glad u were there to take care of her. It got to make someone feel aweful after having one. I know when my blood sugar drops in low 40’s without any warning sign that later I get a bad headache n along with being sweaty then with chills as it comes back up. I didn’t quite understand about your son, is he on blood thinners then going for surgery? I was always told to stop the blood thinner a wk or two before any surgery?
Cuz is here to save the day.. Omg, that was so funny of the unzipped skirt n Texas dude. Luv the Ostrich joke n yes, life is too short.
Bobbie, Ladee, n where is everyone else?
I hope everyone has a good weekend. I cannot believe fall is just around the corner. I am starting to put out fall color stuff around house n soon as it get cooler I will put my fake fall flowers outside. Hey, u gotta do what ya gotta do. I may go buy a few 'real' mums later when I can get some more me time.
Hubby got his Cat-scan test done n we won't know anything till 25th. However, he did find out from the ultra-sound he has kidney stones. However, the primary dr didn't mention what kind n so we r waiting on the Urologist results on 25th. I guess that is why the primary dr referred him to the specialist? Glad he's not in pain. At least so far it doesn't sound like prostate cancer so that is good news. I hope everyone is able to have a good weekend for what its worth.
(1)

THE OSTRICH !

If this doesn't at least bring a smile to your face GO BACK TO BED!!!!!!!

THE OSTRICH !

A man walks into a restaurant with a full-grown
ostrich behind him. The waitress asks them for
their orders. The man says, "A hamburger, fries
and a coke," and turns to the ostrich, "What's
yours?" "I'll have the same," says the ostrich.

A short time later the waitress returns with the
order. "That will Be $9.40 please" The man
reaches into his pocket and pulls out the exact
change for payment.
The next day, the man and the ostrich come
again and the man says, "A hamburger, fries
and a coke."

The ostrich says, "I'll have the same."

Again the man reaches into his pocket and
pays with exact change.

This becomes routine until the two enter again.
"The usual?" Asks the waitress. "No, this is
Friday night, so I will have a steak, baked potato
and a salad," says the man. "Same," says the
ostrich. Shortly the waitress brings the order
and says, "That will be $32.62." Once again
the man pulls the exact change out of his pocket
and places it on the table.

The waitress cannot hold back her curiosity any
longer. "Excuse me, Sir. How do you manage to
always come up with the exact change in your
pocket every time?"

"Well," says the man, "several years ago I was
cleaning the attic and Found an old lamp. When
I rubbed it, a Genie appeared and offered me
two wishes. My first wish was that if I ever had
to pay for anything, I would just put my hand
in my pocket and the right amount of money
would always be there."

"That's brilliant!" says the waitress. "Most people
would ask for a Million Dollars or something,
but you'll always be as rich as you want for as
long as you live!"

"That's right..Whether it's a gallon of milk or a
Rolls Royce, the exact money is always there,"
says the man.

The waitress asks, "What's with the ostrich?"

The man sighs, pauses and answers, "My second
wish was for a tall chick with a big ass and long
legs who agrees with everything I say.."

WELL HELLO !!!!!!

Give me the grace to see a joke,
To get some humor out of life,
And pass it on to other folk.

Life is short!
(4)

If this one doesn't make you laugh.....

In a crowded city at a busy bus stop, a woman who was waiting for a bus was wearing a tight leather skirt. As the bus stopped and it was her turn to get on, she became aware that her skirt was too tight to allow her leg to come up to the height of the first step of the bus.

Slightly embarrassed and with a quick smile to the bus driver, she reached behind her to unzip her skirt a little,
thinking that this would give her enough slack to raise her leg.

Again, she tried to make the step only to discover she still couldn't. So, a little more embarrassed, she once again reached behind her to unzip her skirt a little more.

For the second time she attempted the step, and once again, much to her chagrin, she could not raise her leg. With a little smile to the driver, she again reached behind to unzip a little more and again was unable to make the step.

About this time, a large Texan who was standing behind her picked her up easily by the waist and placed her gently on the step of the bus.

She went ballistic and turned to the would-be Samaritan and screeched, "How dare you touch my body!
I don't even know who you are!'

The Texan smiled and drawled, "Well, ma'am, normally I would agree with you, but after you unzipped my fly three times,
I kinda figured we was friends."
(3)

This discussion has been closed for comment. Start a New Discussion.
Start a Discussion
Subscribe to
Our Newsletter